Sunday, July 20, 2014

There's Always Sacrifices!

A week has passed in the rainbow nation of South Africa. It doesn’t seem like it has been that long since we departed the international airport in St. Louis, MO, USA. Since our arrival, it has been indescribably incredible. From the people, to the landscape, to the city, and to the cultural immersion experience, it has been truly a once in a life-time opportunity. However, with all good things, there must be some sacrifices.

The Wi-Fi Sacrifice. We were told that having the ability to connect to Wi-Fi wouldn’t be an issue. In fact, there would be an abundant amount of opportunities to connect to Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, we weren’t informed correctly! From bouncing to restaurant to restaurant, utilizing the free but limited Wi-Fi they have to severely annoying the apartment owners to fix the Wi-Fi in our rooms, the battle with Wi-Fi seems to never end. This post took 48 hours to upload (exaggeration but that’s what if felt like).

The Heat Sacrifice. In the US, it is July. For many of you, you are aware of the scorching temperatures and sun-filled weather that July has to offer in the states. But when it is summer in parts of the world, it is winter in other parts. Well, I am experiencing winter…in South Africa…in the middle of July. Sun, tanning, flip-flops, swimming trunks, and tank tops don’t exist here. From the pictures that I have seen of South Africa, it was a tropical paradise. So that is what I packed for. I packed nothing but t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops with a couple pair of jeans and a hoodie. We arrived in South Africa with temperatures in the mid-30s. I was absolutely devastated. To add to my clothing epidemic, we were informed that many of the establishments in South Africa do not have central heating. Simply because the only time they experience cold weather is in July. How did I ever become so fortunate? Hello there, shopping mall, my name is Levi and this is my wallet; lovely to meet you!

The Family and Friends Sacrifice. This trip is by far the longest time I have been away from home. Thus, I made the risk of becoming home-sick. I thought that at the rate of events that we had to attend that I would never become home-sick. Luckily, we have been really busy. Touring anything and everything possible that the city of Cape Town has to offer. Yet, there are those moments. Those moments that I am lying in my bed looking up at the ceiling, riding in the van from another event, or scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed that becoming home-sick really takes a toll. By all means, I don’t want to go home because I absolutely love the opportunity that I am experiencing. However, what would make this the ultimate experience is if I could have my family and friends here trekking through this adventure with me. I guess I can’t have all that I want but I know that they will be waiting for me when I return home. In the meantime, if Wi-Fi is cooperating, Skype and Facebook are going to have to suffice. If any of you are reading this, know that I miss you…so dearly. I am so looking forward to coming home and sharing all of the many memories that I am making in South Africa. If anyone is counting, 24 days left!


School starts tomorrow. My emotions are racing and I have no idea what to expect or even what to feel. Should I be excited, nervous, happy, fearful, or everything combined? I guess I will find out soon. It’s going to be inspirational to learn about the children, the teachers, and the power of the education system here in South Africa. The least that I can say is that I am totally looking forward to it! Wish me the best of luck!! Until then, my bed is calling my name. My day starts at 5:30 a.m.!!

1 comment:

  1. We miss you too Levi!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get home! :-)

    ReplyDelete