Sunday, July 13, 2014

A City Divided!

We were entering a whole different world as myself and my twelve other companions stepped foot into the township of Imizamo Yethu. We had been living pretty highly for the past two days, all nestled into our apartment complex with a comfortable bed, our own bathroom, and plenty of food. However, the world that we stepped into hit us smack dab in the face. Our tour guide, a resident and spokesperson for the township, gladly met us at the double-decker bus stop. He was so thrilled and enthusiastic to give us a tour of his township. The money used to purchase the tickets went directly to the township which I was pleased to hear.

Surrounding us were tin houses of many different shapes, colors, and sizes. The structure of them appeared as though they could not even withstand a strong gust of wind. Trash flowed throughout the drainage canals and the smell was horrific. Children ran throughout the streets completely unsupervised; some barefoot and some with raggy clothing. We progressed through the street. It felt like a million eyes were staring at us like we were creatures from another planet. Essentially, we were. We dressed differently, we acted differently, and to the residents of the township, we were nothing but American tourists interrupting their daily activities. We arrived at a home to which we could enter. The house, nearly 10’X10’, housed a family of six. The floor was made of cardboard but the house did have running water, a fridge, a TV with antennae, and one cellular device. The home did not have a bathroom because the only bathroom was a community one which was up the road a ways. The family looked miserable all snuggled into one full size bed. They stared at us, a smile on their face, but misery in their eyes. The discomfort soon hit me. We exited the home and I and an unwelcoming stomach ache came over me.

We continued throughout the township, stopping at a more modern style home; one of only a few throughout the township. It was here that we learned of an organization based out of California called the One Heart Source, an organization that worked to better the township as a whole. This home was the product of some of their work. We walked through but quickly left. We then arrived at a gift shop. Inside were several different sized paintings on canvas scattered all over the floor, just waiting to have an owner claim it. The bartering soon began. A man approached me, who I believed to be the artist. He was willing to sell me two paintings, one of which was 120 Rand ($12) and the other for 150 Rand ($15). I wasn’t pleased at first but he gave them both to me for 250 Rand ($25). I was very pleased with my purchase.  One painting featured the Big Five of South Africa: the Lion, the Elephant, the Leopard, the Rhino, and the Buffalo. The other painting was of the township itself. We left the gift shop and continued onward throughout the township.
Our final stop in the tour of the township was the school. It was a lovely building constructed better than most schools in the US. The school was constructed by a couple from Germany who saw the area as a place that needed a better school.


It was truly remarkable to walk through the township and see the environment to which the people thrived in. Some looked miserable but others seemed to highly enjoy the life they had. Imizamo Yethu made me realize how much I take for granted as an individual. As the tour ended, my emotions finally set in and I was soon ready to burst into tears. I wish more than anything that I could help every citizen of that township but I have to know the limitations of what I can do. BABY STEPS. I am looking forward to the difference I can make here in Cape Town as an educator teaching abroad. My adventure in Cape Town continues and so does my quest to make a difference in the world! 

PICTURES TO COME WHEN WI-FI BECOMES MORE READILY AVAILABLE!

1 comment:

  1. Levi, just remember , you live in a very nice country, and one of the best. Like me in Vietnam, it took me a while to get use to seeing the children that where hungry and the people that was so poor and had such a rough life, it also brought tears to my eyes, but I soon realized that the most I could do for these people was to pray for them, and hope my prayers would be answered some day for them.It's something you'll never forget, but it just makes you realize how great the U.S.A. is. Love you Levi and good night.

    ReplyDelete