Thursday, July 17, 2014

Swimming in the Rain

I was awaken by the sound of thunder and rain hitting the patio. This was the answer to the question that lingered in my mind as I woke. Our initial plan for the day was to climb to the top of Table Mountain and oversee the entire city of Cape Town. Unfortunately, since the country is in its rainy season, the trail to the top of the mountain often closes when rain enters the area. As you can imagine, the excitement within me dissolved into the damp air. Our plans changed and we had the distinct pleasure of visiting the Slave Lodge in the downtown area of Cape Town.

We arrived in the downtown area ready to explore the slave lodge. With rain pouring down on our heads and water splashing onto our legs, we were slightly worried at how our day was going to go. Personally, I was slightly unprepared for the weather with my light sweater quickly becoming drenched. Something had to be done or my day was going to be impossible to enjoy. Luckily, the tour of the slave lodge was an inside event.

Our group entered the slave lodge excited for the history and information that was about to fill our brains. It was interesting to learn that Cape Town once served as a slave trading port and refilling station beginning as early as the 1600s. The Dutch would import slaves from northern Africa and areas of India and Indonesia. They would pack them into ships like sardines under fatal conditions. It was devastating to hear that many didn't make the journey! However, the museum was also featuring an exhibit called the Women of South Africa. This exhibit portrayed women across South Africa and their fight during the apartheid era of South Africa. One of the most interesting stories I heard was from a woman who went to prison simply because her husband was a political activist. The apartheid feared that she was a threat. Her story was filled with sadness and fear, yet courage and strength. Through my time in South Africa thus far, it has been apparent that the apartheid severely affected many people in many different ways. It was powerful, though, to hear their stories and their bravery.

The slave lodge tour concluded and it was finally time for lunch. We headed back to the Green Market Square to grab lunch once again. The treacherous rain once again began falling from the gray sky. I knew in my mind that I had to purchase a rain coat and quick. Myself and two other companions headed to a clothing store by the name of Mr. Price. I asked the clerk if they had rain coats available. He responded with an expedient no. I continued through the store and found a waterproof coat. I was curious as to why the clerk told me no but as I thought about the issue more thoroughly, I discovered that many people in Cape Town do not where rain coats. It was an interesting find. I purchased the rain coat for 189 Rand, roughly 18 US dollars. I compared prices with the quality of the coat. If I would have purchased this coat in the US, I would have easily spent $50.


After lunch, we headed back to the Waterfront where we spent the conclusion of our day at the local aquarium. We had the pleasure of watching their daily feeding of the fish. Although it sounds boring, we watched a momentous event. The one and only sea turtle in the aquarium was swimming in the same tank of the fish feeding. The aquarium expert explained to the crowd that since the sea turtle is very slow, it would be unable to eat before the other fish could take all the food. As the sea turtle entered the feeding frenzy, she had a small piece of fish in her site. She casually floated toward the piece, waited for a few seconds, and gorged on the piece in front of her. The crowd applauded and I screamed, “heck yeah!” This was the final event of the day! The group headed back to the apartment to grab dinner and of course celebrate at our nightly Wi-Fi party!

No comments:

Post a Comment