Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Teaching Day Two: SUCCESS!

July 22nd - Much like yesterday, I was awake before sunrise. I suppose I should get used to this if I am going to be a certified teacher. I got dressed and put on my game face! I was ready to take on the new challenge that today was going to offer. We boarded the Boogey Bus and headed to Montevideo Primary School where the second day of class was getting ready to kick start. We arrived at the school and were once again greeted by Principal Timmit. That man certainly knows how to get you excited for the day!

I walked outside to the courtyard where I was welcomed by the other seventh grade teachers. Standing in front of them were 150 seventh grade learners in single file lines according to gender and which class they were in: 7A, 7B, or 7C. As they prepared to head to class, I was able to chat with the teachers for a few minutes where they seemed interested in the weather back in the United States once again. They found it amusing that the cold, winter weather they were experiencing was like my spring weather in the United States. Quickly following our conversation, the students began a group prayer that was led by one of the teachers. They then headed to their classrooms where I was once again reunited with Mr. Edgross.

Mr. Edgross had a reading passage selected for today’s class. He had a few different students read the excerpt and then discussed different parts with the class. Mr. Edgross then turned to me and asked if I would like to present a passage next week. I gladly replied with an excited yes. He then informed the students that I would be reading a passage to them but that they should be very mindful of my accent. I was rather entertained by this comment considering I don’t believe I have an accent but to the learners I do have one. The feeling is mutual.

After Mr. Edgross’s class, I joined Ms. Wilcocks for her class. She was the Math and Life Orientation instructor for the seventh grade. She sat me at the back of the class and began her lecture with calculating selling price after a discount had been applied to the cost price. Although the problem was using Rand, the South African currency, I was pleased to inform that learners were taught the same problem solving skills that students in the United States were taught. After working a few problems, Ms. Wilcocks then jumped into a lesson in geometry where the students were reviewing the measurement of angles and calculating the different parts of a circle. To my surprise, each student had a compass and protractor that they were able to use to find the calculations. Due to a lack of funding in different areas of the school, I didn’t think the students would have those resources!

The first interval began and there was a call for all teachers to report to the teacher’s lounge. As we arrived in the teacher’s lounge, there were a few learners there and Principal Timmit was also present. He addressed the room full of educators and informed us that today marked the 26th Anniversary of the opening of Montevideo Primary School. I was so honored to be a part of the ceremony. A couple of learners gave a speech/blessing and another sang in front of the room. It quickly concluded, however, and then I headed to Mrs. Jacob’s class. She was the seventh grade Natural Science teacher. I sat in on her lecture which was set up much like those in the United States. I didn’t notice much difference except for the fact that she was the only teacher that used a transparency film projector. Afterwards, I joined Mrs. Fischer in her classroom yet again. Today, she seemed more authoritative and less patient. She began yelling at the learners for their talking and rushed them to their seats. Before she began lecture in Afrikaans, she asked for names. I remember her doing this yesterday but I was unsure of what was going on. She would have a few learners write the names of other learners who were being disruptive. She would then call on those learners and ask them to leave the classroom for a brief amount of time. It was her form of punishment. Today was different. She called on those learners and asked them to come to her at her desk. They would stick out their hands, she would take the wooden eraser, and then she would bang the eraser against their knuckles. I could see the pain go across the learner’s face but I just sat back and observed. One of the many things I have to learn as an educator is that there are different forms of punishment, some of which are acceptable in different parts of the world.

The tornado alarm, as I refer to it, sounded again to begin the second interval. I rejoined my companions for a brief lunch and then headed back to Mrs. Fischer’s class. It was the same class that was in there before which I was slightly confused about. Regardless, it was a pretty laid back. The students talked, I graded some papers, and then there was a Q&A session. Many of the students had several questions to ask me and I was so happy to answer them all. I felt like was an important part of their day and they seemed to really enjoy my presence.


As the day concluded, a learner came up to me and presented me with a portrait that she drew of me. I was so honored that the learner was so welcoming of me and that she took the time to draw a picture of me. Surprisingly, she is a very good artist. The final alarm rang and the learners left for the day. As each one passed, they told me “goodbye” or “see you tomorrow!” It was such a wonderful day and I am so looking forward to what tomorrow has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment