Thursday, July 24, 2014

Conclusion of Week Two!

I was lying awake in my bed last night after my third day at Montevideo Primary School. It was hard to fall asleep and for many reasons. For one, it was only 8:00; yet, I was extremely exhausted. Being a teacher is very hard work and I am not even a full-time teacher at that. For two, I had so many thoughts running through my mind of how the day went and what I should have done differently. Lastly, I was looking forward to the new day that was waiting for me: my fourth and last day of teaching for this week!

My past two days at Montevideo were very similar but on different aspects. I arrive at Montevideo each morning with the high hopes of making a difference in the lives of the learners! I feel as though that that is my purpose here in South Africa but the role has been entirely reversed. The teachers, the learners, the administration, and the education system of South Africa has all made a huge impact on my life. Maybe, just maybe, I will eventually be able to show my talent and have my turn to make a difference. This week, though, I have made several observations in the classroom to expand my knowledge as a future educator. It has been interesting to gather my thoughts and discover the many differences of the United States education system and the South Africa education system.

One of the most important differences I have noticed between our two education systems is the way all of my teachers begin class. As the teachers rush the learners to their seats, they single out certain learners and criticize them for their behavior, their learning abilities, and more importantly, their test results. This method of punishment (as I call it) certainly has its pros and cons. It puts fear in the learners and possibly forces them to do better in their academics. However, it also causes humility and shame which could lead to further problems in the learner’s educational ability. Regardless, it is a method of teaching that I have noticed consistently among all the teachers in grade seven. For myself, I necessarily do not agree with this method because it’s not solving any of the issues that the school is facing. Today was the first day that I had noticed this method of teaching on an extreme level. The teacher pointed two students out to me directly while class was in session. He explained to me that these two students had been affiliated with gangs outside of school and thus were failing in their academics. Whether this was a good teaching method or not, I have no idea. At the conclusion of class, the teacher looked at me and told me that all teachers have different ways of handling their class. They have to find out what works best and what provides results. ‘Tis true, sir, but there are certain things that may work best for you but not best for the learners.

Secondly, I have noticed that the personality of the teachers are all very similar. However, they are extremely different than those of the United States. Each teacher is very stern and intimidating when they handle their learners. With a class size of 42 students per teacher, I can certainly understand their behavior. Each teacher shows no signs of amusement and friendliness towards their learners. I, myself, am somewhat intimidated by the teachers when they are instructing the class and I am sure it is even more intimidating for the learners. The method works though. The students remain attentive during class and respect their teachers’ commands for the majority of the time. When this system fails, though, and class becomes chaotic, the teachers initiate a new tactic: physical punishment. Although I necessarily do not agree with this method, it has proven to work within the class.
Thirdly, homework assignments and testing is handled very differently than that in the United States. I have made several observations but what I have not discovered is that there is no clear assignments that are being made. Teachers will often tell the learners to complete certain tasks at home but there has been no check done by the teachers to prove that they are completing the assignments. Additionally, there is no planners/assignment books to remind the learners to complete their assignments. For learners not completing tasks, the only form of punishment that the teachers use is the fear they put into the learners’ minds bout failing their exams. I have not come to a conclusion why this is so but the learners are not forced to practice their work outside of school. It is just encouraged.

The next observation I made this week is the way the class lecture is organized among the teachers. Teachers will begin class like I have mentioned above, singling out learners and publicizing the weaknesses of the class. Each teacher will then begin his/her lecture with minimum class participation. After lecture, a small assignment will be given and the learners are expected to complete that assignment within the remaining class time. Class lecture is organized like this, from what I can observe, for three reasons. First, the class size. There is only so much a teacher can do with 40-50 learners in one small classroom. Secondly, the amount of resources. Montevideo is severely lacking funding and maybe due to their poor test results. Teachers are not given resources like teachers in the United States. They have no projectors, extra books, a research facility, or equipment to initiate different teaching styles. Lastly, the time given for the teachers to lecture. Lecture times are very small for the students in regards to each subject. The teachers are given a strict guide of course material to complete within the given time and if a teacher strays from the required material, they become extremely behind and thus, could lose their job.

The last important topic of discussion for this post is the way Montevideo handles learners who aren’t succeeding in their academics. Although this seems to be the majority of learners, extra help and assistance is not provided for learners who do not understand the material. Class must go on and if the learners are not grasping the material, there is nothing much that the teachers can do. They must push onward and continue through the course material.


Although this post seems as though it is largely criticizing Montevideo Primary School, it is important that I understand the differences that I have observed while I spend my time there. Like my host teacher said, each teacher has his/her own method of handling class. As my time here in South Africa continues, I am certain of what I am going to implement within my own classroom in the near future. I am highly looking forward to my last two weeks here. The learners have been absolutely amazing and they continue to be highly interested in me. They constantly have so many questions to ask me. I feel like a celebrity at times! Overall, I still have so much to learn and I hope that I will be given the chance to finally prepare a few lessons to present myself. For now, though, I am going to put schooling aside and enjoy the adventure that lies ahead. I fly out bright and early (6:30 a.m.) from Cape Town International to go to Kruger National Park just northeast of Johannesburg. This weekend holds the four-day safari that I have excitedly been anticipating since my arrival here in South Africa. I can hear the elephants calling my name already!

No comments:

Post a Comment