Saturday, July 12, 2014

Hello, Cape Town, Levi has arrived!


"South African Airways Flight 208 to Johannesburg will now begin boarding." This statement was one that ultimately begin my teaching abroad experience! I knew that there was 16 hours of flight time ahead of me, I was prepared both mentally and physically. As the first four hours passed, I was totally rocking it! I was upbeat, jamming to my music, and totally excited for my arrival in Cape Town. Dinner was shortly served thereafter. It was a beef with rice, served with salad and a rather satisfying dessert. The beef, however, was not so satisfying. After dinner, my stomach began to hurt and my legs began to cramp. I got up out of my seat ready to explore the rather large cabin area. There was nothing much to see except for the miserable, exhausted faces of my fellow passengers. Our feelings were entirely mutual. As we prepared for our departure into Dakar, Senegal, I was so excited for the first half of the flight to be over. A few passengers departed and some arrived for what would be the final stretch to South Africa.

I moved to a different seat due to some issues with families wanting to sit together. The struggles of being an unaccompanied passenger! Fortunately, my choice to move was an excellent one. I had the distinct pleasure of sitting next to a lady from Detroit, Michigan. The lady, who went by the name of Dottie I believe, had been an educator herself for fourteen years. I was so interested in her stories of being a teacher, as she was interested in my stories of how I got to the seat that I was in. We shared many memories to each other and the many things we both looked forward to in our adventure to South Africa. She really enjoyed reading so I felt necessary to begin reading my book, The Fault in Our Stars. Since then, I have not been able to put the book down. We both departed our ways when our flight finally landed in Johannesburg around 6:00 p.m, noon at my home state. I was so thrilled to have the opportunity to stretch my legs and get my first view of the South African terrain. Unfortunately, we didn't get to leave the airport. We had to make our journey through customs. 

As we waited in line to clear customs, I was scared. Scared for many things! Were they going to allow me to enter the country, Did I appear innocent, not that I wasn't, and Can I set the world record for the longest time a person could hold his bladder? As I approached the counter, I handed the rather enthused (joking) security officer my passport. She looked me into the eye, rather strangely, and asked, "what is the purpose of your stay?" I told her I was on vacation, the advice given to me by my adviser. She then asked, "how many days are you going to be in South Africa." I gladly responded with "30 days!" She stamped my passport and stated with a smile, "Enjoy your stay in South Africa." A sudden mood change! Within a short distance, the entrance to "the toilet," opposed to "the restrooms," was brightly shining in my face! I ran through the entrance!

We sat within the terminal, awaiting the final boarding process to our flight to Cape Town. I still felt like I wasn't in Africa though. Maybe it was because I was living in airplanes and airports for the past 35 hours or maybe because I was so exhausted that all emotions had dissolved within my mental capacity. Regardless, I was excited for this final stretch. We boarded the plane with one last two hour flight ahead of this. This final leg was perhaps the worst of them all. I was so tired and my stomach felt like it was going to explode within my body. I was so ready to be descending into Cape Town International Airport!

South African Airways Flight 377 to Cape Town, South Africa arrived at 11:00 p.m. or better known as 23:00 here. On board, myself and 6 other students from the University of Missouri in Columbia, proudly stepped down the stairs onto the runway at the airport, gladly inhaling the rather odd smelling, yet refreshing air of Cape Town, South Africa! I soon realized that these six other individuals would become my South African family, the ones that I would get to make all of my memories here in South Africa with.

As we stepped onto the bus at the airport that took us to the terminal where we could claim our baggage, the emotions of arriving in Africa really didn't set into my mind. All I could think to myself was how much I wanted to shower and finally get snuggled into my horizontal bed. When you have been on a plane for the past 38 hours, you will learn that a horizontal object to which you can sleep on is something that you highly take for granted. We piled ourselves into the van and headed to Tyger Cliffs Waterfront, our new home for the next month. I was overwhelmed - the view mostly. I never thought I would be so honored to stay in a place that was so beautiful. I definitely expected less. 

We went our separate ways finally ready to settle in for the night. As soon as I had entered the rather lovely room of 307 at Tyger Cliffs Waterfront, I headed straight for the shower. It felt like it was raining joy all over my body. I felt so refreshed. I quickly jumped into my pajamas and settled into my queen-sized bed! 

We woke at 10:30 a.m., time being 4:30 a.m. at home, prepared for our first day in Cape Town, South Africa. The agenda for the day: lunch, grocery shopping, buy disposable phones to call home with, get ready for a night on the town, dinner downtown, bar hopping, and then finally return back to the apartment. We followed the agenda well. We had lunch at a restaurant called Primi. I ordered a bacon and brie cheeseburger that was rather delightful. Receiving the bill was the most treacherous moment, however. It was our first test of using the South African currency, the Rand. Let's just say that we had and still do have work to do. We left and then headed to the grocery store to do some mild shopping. Afterwards most of us need to purchase a cell phone in order to call home. I never knew that it was going to be so stressing trying to purchase a cell phone. We finally were successful in getting our cellular devices activated. I immediately contacted my mom, the most anticipated event since my arrival in Cape Town. I was so relieved to hear her voice and tell her that I had made it to Cape Town. Afterwards, we collectively decided to purchase some wine with the stress and frustration of activating our cell phones. Wine and Wi-Fi party was perhaps the most entertaining moment of the trip thus far. It was a much deserved break. P.S. for any of those who are unaware, the legal drinking age in South Africa is 18. SCORE!

We headed downtown afterwards excited to check out the night life in Cape Town. We didn't quite know what we were getting into but we enjoyed the night as a whole! We ate at a bar called Sgt. Pepper. I ordered the Big Bird Sandwich, along with a classic margarita. I consumed both entirely. Paying for the bill was again challenging. It was rather humorous to hear the waiter explain to our table, "I never understand how you Americans can never settle a bill." We had some work to do dealing with the Rand obviously. Afterwards, we left for some rather odd dancing at an establishment called Fiction. I examined the scene trying to understand the attire of South Africans. Basically, anything is fair game! We returned home around 11:30 p.m. (23:30), or for those keeping track, 5:30 p.m. central standard time! I was so exhausted from the day but luckily, I had the strength to write this post. 

As you can tell, I have had a pretty eventful time thus far in Cape Town! Although, I am very excited for the adventure that lies ahead. We have so much to see and so much to do. The anticipation is overwhelming!! However, the time is quickly approaching 2:00 a.m. here. I unfortunately must retire to my bed and await my next day in Cape Town. I hope that my family and friends at home are doing well. I miss them so utterly much and I wish more than anything that they could all be here experiencing my South African adventure with me! Until next time my lovely followers, Good Night! 

1 comment: