Sunday, August 3, 2014

MIZ-ZOU South African Style!

Week two at Montevideo Primary School ended with a fantastic day of events. August 1st was the day that the learners could come to school in normal dress but on the condition that they pay 5 rand. The proceeds were going to benefit a local children’s hospital! It was so interesting to arrive at school and see all the learners in their casual attire. They all looked lively and excited to be at school, not that they ever aren’t. I began the day with Ms. Fischer who had to leave the classroom for the first part of the period. Fortunately, the moment arrived that I could finally interact with the learners on a more personal level. I explained to them that if they were quiet, they could ask me any types of questions that they wanted to. I highly enjoyed answering all the questions they had for me. Yet, they appeared that they were having more enjoyment out of it than I was. At the end of the questioning, I was able to teach the class the MIZ-ZOU chant. It was remarkably one of the most rewarding parts of the day! And of course, I caught in on camera! First interval arrived and I rejoined the table tennis team for a brief ping-pong match. I am certainly getting better but I still have a lot of work to do to match up to the skills of the learners! Interval concluded and I rejoined Ms. Wilcocks for math and EMS. Before I knew it, though, second interval began. It is amazing how fast my time here in South Africa is going. This interval, I stayed outside in the courtyard instead of rejoining the learners in the table tennis room. I had the distinct pleasure of being invited to jump rope with a small group of girls. I was slightly nervous because the last time I jumped rope was, ironically, in elementary school. I faced my fears though and jumped in! Surprisingly, I was really good! I jumped and twirled and laughter filled the air around me. Before I knew it, there was a crowd of learners surrounding me. They all HIGHLY enjoyed me, “the American,” jumping rope with them! School ended nearly two hours early that day which put a damper on my already high spirits. It marked the end of week two and the beginning of my last week in South Africa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment